Everything I needed for 4 months of this year was in the back of my Mini Cooper. Just me, a GPS and a map, camping gear, clothes for hiking and for conferences. Food and water. All of the essentials, right there. In what most probably consider a fairly small car.
I swear, a Mini Cooper is like a Tardis – it is indeed bigger on the inside.
Granted, I was happy when I visited friends and had a larger bed, a shower, washing machine and an oven. But most of the time everything I needed was in that Mini.
Imagine the shock of coming home to a lot of STUFF. It was overwhelming. Why do I have so many clothes? What are all these papers here? Magazines? Just … ugh. It hangs on me, weighing me down. I’ve been home for 6 weeks now, and I’m still dealing with the crushing sense of clutter, things that I never noticed when I left. Whenever I have spare time, I find myself getting rid of more things. The local Goodwill has been the recipient of at least 8 bags of things that I don’t need so far, and more is on its way. Whatever I can’t donate, I recycle.
Everything is weighed against one very simple measure: If I was going on the road again tomorrow, would I make room for this in the back of the Mini Cooper?
For this second prompt, think about the clutter that is in your life. What is weighing you down? Is it physical clutter, or emotional clutter? Has work taken over your life? Is your closet stuffed to the point of overflowing? Do you need to hold on, or is it time to let some things go? What old things can you clear from your life to make space for new things in the new year? What is your measuring stick for what should stay or what should go? What mantra can you use to think about as you decide what to keep in your life?
- Join a coaching group, or enquire about one to one coaching. Seats are VERY limited and groups start again in January. Between now and January 1st, lock yourself in at the introductory rate! – http://vividandbrave.com/join-us-overview/
- Enter the Journal Goodies Giveway
- Like our Facebook page
- Join the Facebook Group specifically created for creative women to share and inspire each other
Latest posts by Christine Tremoulet (see all)
- To the Thin Women of the World – I’m Sorry - October 26, 2015
- Black Teeth, White Smile! Smart Ash Review - August 9, 2015
- The Joys of Being Over 40 - April 19, 2015
I’m cleaning out my Master closet tonight after reading this. I wear maybe 30% of the clothes in there. Someone could be using those and would be grateful to have them.
[…] – Clearing the Clutter – What is weighing you down? Is it physical clutter, or emotional clutter? Has work taken over […]